Finns det nån lärare bland oss?

Hur kan man sprida go i Sverige? Idéer och diskussion.

Moderators: boywing, pel, sestir, pem

mohsart

Finns det nån lärare bland oss?

Post by mohsart »

Från American Go Electronic Journal:
YOUTH GO: Building Strength - and Respect - In Oakdale, CA
by Paul Barchilon, Youth Editor
Oakdale is a quiet little town in California's Central Valley, but thanks to the efforts of fourth grade teacher Vincent Eisman, it now sports a large population of go-playing kids. "Initially, I began teaching go to my students because, like chess, it develops mental discipline and concentration," explained Eisman. "I knew that playing go also utilized a number of math skills and application of traditional values of courtesy and respect." Despite little prior knowledge of the game, Eisman decided to introduce it to his students in the 2005 school year. Far from the go mainstream and unaware of the resources our community offers, the industrious Eisman made all of his own equipment to start things off. Check out all his boards at http://chiyodad.blogspot.com/2006/02/ic ... grows.html
"I received a grant from the Oakdale Education Foundation to begin a go project in my class," said Eisman. "I believe this game has tremendous potential for our students and possibly for our community. I had no idea the game would catch on as it has." In April the local paper, the Oakdale Leader ran a feature on the program. They reported "Students like Fair Oaks fourth grader Jennifer Balderas were also teaching the game to other peers, and many of them were playing Go during recesses and lunchtime. 'When I heard about go, at first, I thought it would be boring, but then I found out it wasn't. It was really fun and teaches you stuff about your opponent,' said Balderas."
Eisman says "I have found that if you really push the etiquette element of the game, it has a huge impact and goes a long way. Last year I clearly saw the students behave one way with PE (poor sports, pride issues, cheating) and an entirely different way with go. It was very common for students to approach better students asking for 'a teaching game'. It was amazing- the KIDS WITH THE biggest attitudes became gentlemen over the board. This year my goal is to extend go etiquette into other areas of life. The kids loved the idea of 'onegaishimasu-I'll do everything I can to defeat you but will accept loss as an opportunity to learn and better myself.' They also become more at ease when they realize the ranking system is not a hierarchical system but a way of providing equally challenging games and to show growth.
"I also push the 'Hurry and lose your first 50 games.' When kids get down in the beginning I ask how many they've lost and tell them they have X more to go. They dig that. Similarly, the pride monsters can be taught humility and responsibility. The whole character element is one of the things that has won over my principal, local administration, and parents." Indeed, Eisman's program has become so successful that the director of curriculum in Math and Science from Stanislaus County wants to put after-school go programs into as many schools as he can. And unlike individual teachers struggling to find funds, he has access to state resources to act on this wish. Look for future stories on Eisman's school district in upcoming issues of the E-Journal.
Eisman now teaches go three times a week to kids of all grades. He has a roster of over 80 go players at Fair Oaks Elementary and a handful more at three other schools in town. To find out more about his efforts, and for some truly delightful pictures, visit his website at http://www.oakdale.k12.ca.us/fairoaks/eisman/Go.html

/Mats
mohsart - spel & böcker
http://spel.mohsart.se/
pel
Administratör

Post by pel »

Väldigt coolt!
Man måste digga magnetbrädet från ikea också ;)
lp

Post by lp »

Jag och Martina var lärare på en Waldorfsskola torsdagen den 25/1 -07.
Vi var där en hel dag och introducerade spelet till en 5-6:a och en 9:a.

Vi hade domnstrationsbrädet med oss, vi hade kopierat upp ett introhäfte på svenska som utgetts av Europeiska G-centret i Amstelveen, Holland samt våra egna broschyrer om Västerås Go-klubb.
Det var väldigt givande. Vi hade en kort introduktion varefter eleverna fick spela på 9x9-bräden. Därefter hade vi åter lite genomgång på demobrädet och avslutade med spel igen.

Det har ännu inte gett något resultat i form av spelande medlemmar, men vi ser det långsiktigt.
Vi ska återknyta med skolan och höra om de vill att vi kommer igen.
Sedan kan vi utveckla det hela och ta kontakt med andra skolor.

Sedan var det Doujin-fest här i Västerås 3-4 februari. Doujin-fest är ett slags manga-konvent med deltagare från hela Sverige.
På lördagen var det succé. Massor med ungdomar ville lära sig att spela go. Vi hade fullt upp hela dagen och använde våra pappersbräden som vi gjorde till skolan en vecka tidigare.

mvh
Leif i Västerås
Leif P
mohsart

Post by mohsart »

Kul, Leif! :-)

/Mats
mohsart - spel & böcker
http://spel.mohsart.se/
booru

Post by booru »

det är ett manga/anime konvent i Uppsala varje år, Uppsalas och eller Stockholms goklubb borde kanske vara närvarande nästa år.