Nordic Go League

To exchange ideas on how to develop the nordic go scene.

Moderators: boywing, pel, sestir, pem

Podiceps

Nordic Go League

Post by Podiceps »

Dear nordic go friends,

I have recently come up with an idea of creating a nordic go league similar to the german Bundesliga. I have so far discussed the idea with the danish go community (mainly Copenhagen Go Club) and we have worked out a priliminary set of rules. I would now like to present it to you for discussion. It is my hope you like the idea and what we have come up with so far and that we can start registration and the league from january 2008.

Feel free to discuss the idea here or online in KGS room Nordic Go League.

The main points is as i see it:

- Playing day and time
- the preseason

Yours Rasmus Bisschop-Larsen

Nordic Go Club League

§1. General

1) The Nordic Go Club League is formed to promote and maintain go in the Nordic countries across boarders and within clubs.
2) Hopefully the league will increase the joy of playing and make both experienced and beginners want to keep playing.

§2. League structure

A. Normal league season

1) The league is divided into groups of optimally 8 teams. The lowest groups may vary from 6 to 11 teams.
2) The top group is the 1st division and is followed by the 2nd division and so forth. The lowest division may be divided into two regional or subdivisions.
3) The league structure for the following season is decided by the league management by April the 20th.

B. Preseason of the 1st league season

4) To determine which teams play in which division in the first league season a preseason is played from February to ultimo April.
5) The teams are ordered descending after the average of the first 5 players on the prioritised team list (see §8.3). Thereafter they are organized in divisions according to §2.1-3 but two teams from the same club may not play in the same division unless there are no lower divisions.
6) The 4 lowest teams in each division play the 4 top teams of the division below. The teams play each other in opposite order (e.g. 8-1, 7-2, 6-3, 5-4)
7) The teams play one match following the outlines of §11.2. The looser is relegated to the lower division.
8) In case of a tie that would decide in which division the teams will play, a playoff match is played between the teams.
9) Teams may enter the preseason under the same conditions as the regular league season.
10) If any club’s 1st team is placed in a division lower than it’s 2nd team the teams’ positions are switched.
11) The deadline for registration to the preseason is February the 1st.
12) The schedule for the preseason tournament will be published shortly after the registration ends.

§3. League management

1) The league management consists of one member assigned by each Nordic go organisation participating in the Nordic go club league.
2) The league management constitutes itself and assigns a preferable impartial manager to each division.
3) The division manager is responsible for the playing schedule, result recording and the supervision of the division.

§4. League season

1) The league season runs from May the 1st to January the 31st.
2) During the season each team meets the other teams in the division once.
3) The division manager makes a playing schedule at the beginning of the season. Herein the first mentioned team is “home team” and has black on the uneven board numbers and white on the even board numbers. It is the division manager’s responsibility to make the schedule in best accordance to the holidays, tournaments and club nights of the involved teams.
4) Any relegation matches are played in February.
5) The official winners and eventual prizes are announced at the Nordic Championship during Easter.

§5. Playing dates

1) Both team captains must at least 10 days before the scheduled date send a player list for the match to the opposing team and the division manager.
2) If one of the team captains wants to play on the internet then the game must be played online on KGS in the room Nordic Go League.
3) One or more games may be rescheduled to within a week before the scheduled date but it is preferred the match is played on the same date and the games simultaneously.
4) If a new playing date cannot be agreed then the original scheduled date stands.
5) If one or more teams can agree to meet over the boards in real life then games should just be played before the scheduled date. This is of course the preferred method as it makes more friends but often not practical possible.

§6. Matches

1) A match consists of 4 games and all games should be started at the scheduled time. If a match cannot be started after 30 minutes from the scheduled start the game is lost for the player not present, unless the team captains have agreed to reschedule the game to another time within the allowed timeframe (§5.3,5)
2) All games are played using the Japanese rules as used in Europe or online on KSG.
3) Black gives a komi of 6.5 to white in all games.
4) The playing time for each player is 30 minutes plus a byo-yomi of 20 stones in 5 minutes.
5) Each won game is worth 2 points for the team, jigo 1 point and a loss 0 points.
6) The team with most points after the 4 games are played wins the match and earns 2 match points. A tie is worth 1 match point and a loss 0 match point.
7) The team captain reports the result to the division manager within 24 hours.
8) When playing online it is the black player who (guided by the team captain) sets up the game. It is though up to both players to check that the correct settings are used.

§7. Standing

1) The division manager updates the standing after each played match.
2) The standing is ordered after:
1. Match points
2. Game points
3. Game points on board one
4. Game points on board two
5. Game points on board three
6. Game points on board four

§8. Teams

1) Each team must represent a Nordic Go club.
2) A team consists of 5 to 10 players.
3) The players are on registration ordered in descending priority for filling the 4 boards. The first four players are the regular players and the rest replacements. The players must fill the boards in this order during the matches (e.g. player 5 cannot replace player 3 on board 3 if player 4 is playing board 4. Then player 4 must play board 3 and player 5 board 4).
4) Any club may register more than one team but not more than one is allowed to play in each (sub)division unless there are no lower divisions.
5) A player is allowed to play on two different teams for a club but only once as regular player and then not as replacement for a team in a lower division, than the team the player is regular player for. Likewise if playing as replacement for two teams then they must be in different divisions and the player cannot play for two teams less than 14 days apart.

§9. Team captain

1) Each team must assign a team captain who does not have to play on the team, though.
2) The team captain is the official contact of the team and responsible for setting up, playing and reporting the result of the team’s matches. Therefore the team captain also needs to give a regular checked (i.e. at least on workdays) e-mail address for official communication.
3) It is the team captain’s responsibility to find a temporary replacement, and inform the division manager, if he is unavailable for a longer period of time.
4) A team captain can at any time, in agreement with the division manager, be replaced by a vote of majority amongst the team.

§10. Team registration

1) Each team must (re)register for the season before April the 10th by giving details of the team name, club, team captain and a team player list to the team management.
2) The team list should state the rank of the players. This should roughly be in accordance with the prioritization. If the division manager finds the team list too odd it may ask the team captain for an explanation and a reordering before May 1st.
3) In all divisions but the 1st division can the team captain add players to the team and rearrange the team list (within §8) up till September the 1st.
4) The new team list can in accordance with 2) be questioned by the division manager until October the 1st.
5) In the lowest division the team list order can be changed during the whole season if a player’s rank change significantly. This has to have the approval of the division manager.

§11. Division winners and Nordic go club champion

1) At the end of the season the winner of a division is the first placed in the division. In the 1st division the winner is the Nordic go club champion.
2) If more than one team is tied for first then the teams play a knock-out match until the winner is found. The match is played under normal tournament rules (§6) and the winner decided after the order given in §7.2

§12. Relegation

1) If the division has only one division under it then
- the last team is relegated to the lower division and
- the winner of the lower division is promoted up.
- the second to last team and the second team of the lower division play a relegation match according to the rules of §11.2. The looser is relegated to the lower division.
2) If the division has two divisions under is then
- the two last teams are relegated to one lower division each
- the two winners of the lower divisions are promoted up
3) In case of tied teams in §12.1-2) a knock-out match are played as in §11.2

§13. Entering and leaving the league

1) Any team entering the league, not having played the season before, enters at the lowest division level.
2) If a division exceeds the allowed team number it is subdivided in two.
3) If the lowest divisions are filled then the league management may rearrange the league structure.
4) If any team leaves the league from a division with a lower division then it is replaced at the next season with the highest placed team from the division below.

§14. Complaints and penalties

1) Any disputes should be brought to the attention of the division manager and the league management. Who will act as judges to the best of their knowledge and the better of the league.
2) Any player that does not show for a game forfeits that game.
3) Any team that does not manage to hand in a team list for a match forfeits the match (see §5.1).
4) Any team that forfeits more than two matches looses all it matches in that season and is therefore relegated to a lower division or removed from the league if there is no lower division.
5) Any team that does not apply a correct order of players to a match (§8.3) looses the games of the misplaced players.
Podiceps

Summery

Post by Podiceps »

Hi again,

I have come to think this might be a bit much to read for most, so I made a short summery:

• League: Groups (divisions) of ca. 8 teams.
• Teams: 5-10 players from a nordic go club.
• Teams organized descending after the rating of the first 5 players.
• Preseason: Last 4 teams and first 4 teams in each division play relegation matches.
• 7 rounds of team matches with 4 boards from May the 1st to January the 31st.
• 2 teams from each division play relegation matches.
• Standing decided by wins/draws/loss – tiebreaker board points.
• Games are played on KGS in room Nordic Go League (under Social) or IRL, settings: 30 min., 20/5 byo-yomi, komi: 6,5, no handicap.

Rasmus

PS: To those that have not found it the room Nordic Go League is under Social on KGS.
Fredda

Re: Summery

Post by Fredda »

Podiceps wrote:Hi again,

I have come to think this might be a bit much to read for most, so I made a short summery:

• League: Groups (divisions) of ca. 8 teams.
• Teams: 5-10 players from a nordic go club.
• Teams organized descending after the rating of the first 5 players.
• Preseason: Last 4 teams and first 4 teams in each division play relegation matches.
• 7 rounds of team matches with 4 boards from May the 1st to January the 31st.
• 2 teams from each division play relegation matches.
• Standing decided by wins/draws/loss – tiebreaker board points.
• Games are played on KGS in room Nordic Go League (under Social) or IRL, settings: 30 min., 20/5 byo-yomi, komi: 6,5, no handicap.

Rasmus

PS: To those that have not found it the room Nordic Go League is under Social on KGS.
Hi!

I think it's a very interesting idea!

One question, will there be handicap?
weiland

Post by weiland »

Without having read the long and seemingly complicated rules I have to say it sounds pretty interesting. I think a league could be a great motivation factor for club members.
pel
Administratör

Post by pel »

I think it needs pretty pictures and graphs :twisted:
Or maybe I need more coffe.
Suvi

Post by Suvi »

I personally think this is a great idea! I hope there will be many teams from every Nordic country.

Fredda asked about handicap. It is written in the document summary: "Games are played on KGS in room Nordic Go League (under Social) or IRL, settings: 30 min., 20/5 byo-yomi, komi: 6,5, no handicap".

--Suvi
boywing

Post by boywing »

I want to play in the league!
Boywing [4k?]
Go for Life
Suvi

Post by Suvi »

List of interested players in Finland: http://suomigo.net/wiki/PohjoismaisenGoLiiganKysely.

--Suvi
mohsart

Post by mohsart »

I was thinking of making a page on goforbundet.se for the Swedish teams, but then I thought - why not make it more automatic?
Sort of like the registration application we use for tournaments in Sweden...
Taking this one step further, why not use it for all countries?

The question is, should everybody manage themselves or should a team captain manage his team; or is there a reason for centrlized management of the teams?

I'm not that experienced with this kind of work myself, but I'll gladly look into it if noone else wants to do it.

/Mats
mohsart - spel & böcker
http://spel.mohsart.se/
Vesa

Post by Vesa »

Hi,

As I have heard, the plans are going on and there is a possibility that this league will be launched early 2008.

There is one detail which I would like to see fixed before the games start:
  • The league games on KGS should be Rated.
This because the tournament games can be considered as serious ones and naturally the serious games should be taken into any ranking system they comply with, in this case KGS. Personally, I don't wish to argue this with every game and I don't want to see it different in any game.

Cheers,
Vesa