Weekend activities (I climbed the Great Wall!)

Information about previous trips
Carl Johan
Administratör

Weekend activities (I climbed the Great Wall!)

Post by Carl Johan »

Saturday we had a no regular programme, and made a small excursion to a nearby park. Pictures on the site later. In the evening I studied some go with ChengLan.

Sunday we had a local guide show us around town, to the shopping street and Wangfujing, and a chance to try Dance Dance Revolution at an arcade there.

Monday held a trip to the Great Wall. The trip was organized by a travel agency, in a very touristic manner. We first went to the jade factory, then to the wall, and afterwards to a ceramics factory before lunch. The guide also notified us that we had to go up to the wall by cable car [in fact, a small ride that looked much like a roller coaster] and we paid 60 yuan extra for something unnecessary. I guess the guide got some provision there.

We visited the Bataling part of the wall, which is mostly restaurated. It was an excellent sight. However, salesmen crowded the first part of the walk, and not until we had reached the top and walked back on the other side we could feel "alone" on the wall.

In the afternoon, we had a quick look at Tienanmen square, and I guess we will come back there to look at the forbidden city.

But, no more of these tourist traps for us, I think we will rather go in smaller groups of 4-10 together to see the sights in the future.

Today we will visit a Chinese go club for the first time. We will also start some go lectures every morning now that everyone is settled in, and purchase some Chinese study material.