The Great Wall (again) and a friendship game

Information about previous trips
Carl Johan
Administratör

The Great Wall (again) and a friendship game

Post by Carl Johan »

Last week was an unusually calm week. We kept on doing the lectures, Wednesday there was a commentary on a recent pro game, and Thursday we went to watch a pro game in the university area and have a look at the campus.

Friday a small group went to the Nie Weiping go school and played some games with their students, and, more importantly, we played a football game with some teachers and students on the school. It was a hard fought game, and in the end we lost to the sun by 11-12. The half time score was 2-1 for us, so you can tell that the players were getting rather tired toward the end of the game. Perhaps because we had no substitutes and they had lots, we fell short in the end.

During the weekend we went for a hike on the Great Wall for 4 hours. It was great, if a little hot.

This week we went for a rematch to the Nie Weiping go school yesterday. I beat a Taiwanese guest in go but most people had trouble overpowering our opponents, most of them 10-year-old 5d:s.

In the afternoon we played a friendship game with some Chinese students. The score was a crushing 20-5 in their favor, which was understandable as they had chosen almost exclusively dan players to represent them. We also got a small gift from our small opponents.

Today was again back to games and lectures. In the afternoon we instead went to find some sun-glasses at a local glasses wholesale center, a house with 4 floors and 50 or so stores with exclusively glasses and lenses. We found a friendly English-speaking place, and an hour later we had sun-glasses with prescriptions for 15 euros. Quite a good deal I must say.

Other people visited the forbidden city or the summer palace this week. Yet others went to the bar disctrict and a central tea house. All these great "sights" are still for me to see.

Zai-jian again.